Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Life as a Pro...

So it's official. I'm now "one of those people" who blogs. Yep one of the 77 million people worldwide with a blog who thinks they're life is so riveting that people want to spend time reading about it. So with 77 million blogs to choose from, why should you choose to read mine?

Well you may fall into category #1, meaning you're one of my hundreds of siblings. Ok...I only have 6 but when I tell people I'm the youngest of 7 kids they generally look at me like I said 100 and assume I'm part of some cult religion and grew up on a combine in Texas. 


I realize my sister (the nun) doesn't do much to back up my story that I in fact did not grow up in a cult.

Or you may fall into category #2. One of the few, but the generally awesome, people in the US who actually care about track and field. And no I don't mean the Usain Bolt type of track and field... I'm talking about the type of running that requires a lap counter...the unglamorous, spit dripping down your chin, face grimacing world of distance running.

This is the world I recently entered into on a full time basis. After graduating from Cal/ UC Berkeley (yes...they are the same place) at the end of May, I joined the Brooks Beasts Track Club in Seattle. After a frustrating 5th year in which mono and overtraining syndrome kept me from competing and forced me to take 4 months totally off of exercise, I was pretty psyched to find that I still had several opportunities to run professionally. After exploring my options, I decided on Brooks for several reasons. 

1) The Team: The group was legit. In a sport that requires lots of focus and discipline to be successful, it was refreshing to see  how the members of the group were well-balanced. It wasn't running 24/7. They also knew how to throw down on the dance floor and were as excited as I was for the new Arrested Development season.



2) The Coach: From our very first meeting I liked Danny. The more we talked, it became apparent that Danny's understanding of the science of running was more extensive than just about anyone I'd ever talked to. O and it didn't hurt that in his younger (and stupider) years he had ignored all his body's warning signs and  run himself into a state of chronic exhaustion much like the one I have been dealing with the entirety of 2013.





3) The Shoe Company: Simply put, Brooks is rad! I had no idea just how awesome it was until I was told the company's history. Long story short, Brooks really started thriving in 2001 when their current CEO took over and changed its focus to running only. Fun fact: The CEO now reports directly to Warren Buffett, whose Berkshire Hathaway conglomerate, worth $427 billion, owns Brooks. But what's really unique about Brooks is their humorous, fun and personal approach to running. I could really sense the run happy vibe just from being in their office. And the quality of their shoes speak for themselves- Brooks has the highest market share in specialty running stores. I couldn't imagine a company more dedicated to running and am pumped to be representing Brooks

4) Seattle:  Progressive, outdoorsy, trails for days, beautiful views and Specialty's cookies...it's one of the few places that could make me forget my first love the Bay Area....well maybe just a little bit.


So if you want to get the inside scoop on the life of a professional distance runner doing my best to combine hard work, science-based training and the talent God has given me to reach my athletic potential  while pulling some shenanigans and traveling the globe with my Brooks Beasts teammates, then check back here.

Look for a post about my European racing adventures in the next few days.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome I started blogging too but I don't think anyone was reading my posts :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your blog, your big move to Seattle,your rad sponsorship and your new life as a pro runner. Don't run yourself into the ground again-I miss your interviews on FLOTrack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, keep the posts coming! Being a professional distance runner is even more glamorous than I thought. What was it like being in that private jet to and from Europe?

    -Jonathan

    ReplyDelete